Posts tagged 'Cooking'RSS Feed
This article was written by Cookie Bouquets and originally appeared on "The Simple Mom"
Life can get very stressful and overwhelming, especially with young children, and sometimes it can be easy to choose the less-messy option of buying pre-baked cookies and goods for your kids. While this is understandable, it can be very worthwhile and enjoyable to take the time to bond with your children by baking homemade cookies together. There are a wide variety of reasons in regards to why should take the extra time to bake cookies with your children. Cookie Bouquets wants you to know eight reasons why you should bake cookies alongside your children.
- Teach important life skills. The process of baking is a great way to teach your child important life skills such as how to successfully work as a team, how to read and follow directions, how to be safe in the kitchen, how to clean up afterwards, and many other valuable lessons. Many basic life skills relate to baking
- Teach your children important basic math skills. Baking cookies is the perfect opportunity to make learning math fun for your children. Measuring the ingredients, setting the timer, and teaching your little one how to double or triple what the recipe calls for are great ways to assist your children in learning basic math. If your child strongly dislikes learning math at school, this is a great way to make learning math a pleasurable experience.
- Your kids will learn about the importance of patience. Being patient is a life skill than can be difficult for many young children to grasp. Baking is the perfect way to show your children that patience is an important aspect of life that must be understood. Baking can be a precise process that takes time before making it to the yummy final product.
- Show your kids that clean-up cannot be forgotten. “Clean your room,” are most likely three words that your child does not like to hear. Baking creates an opportunity to show your child that cleaning up is part of the steps and needs to be done carefully and completely. Your kids will learn the valuable lesson that every mess needs to be cleaned up.
- Teach your kids about sharing. Learning to share is another concept that can be difficult for some children comprehend. Taking turns and sharing throughout the baking process is a great way to teach your little one how to share. Sharing the cookies at the end is often the hardest part, so be sure to teach your child that whatever goodies you make are for everyone in the family to enjoy.
- Work on your child’s reading skills. Have your child read the recipe out loud to you. If your child does not understand some of the words, you will be able to assist him or her. Reading is of course a very important skill for your little one and it will bring you immense joy when you see your child read.
- Spark your child’s creativity. It is very important for children to engage in creative activities. Turn baking cookies into a creative art project with by making artistic icing designs. Icing will add loads of fun the baking process.
- Spend quality time with your child! Finally, and most importantly, baking is a wonderful way to spend quality time with your children. Every day can be very busy and hectic, but taking an hour or two with your child and making this memory with your child will forever be cherished.
There are many rewards that will come out of baking cookies with your child in a variety of areas. Not only will you get to spend time bonding with your child, but you will also teach them many valuable life skills. Time to get baking!